AVON WALK FOR BREAST CANCER : ROCKY MOUNTAINS
JUNE 23-24, 2012
During our months of preparation we've been building a community of Walkers, Crew members, Volunteers, donors, friends, families, supporters, sponsors, beneficiaries and those they support. Our community of dedicated individuals will soon unite with one common goal: our commitment to ending breast cancer. TOGETHER, WE ARE IN IT TO END IT!
We celebrate our 10th birthday in 2012, and as we walk this year we'll reflect on the great achievements in breast cancer research and care over the last decade, while continuing to forge ahead towards creating a world without breast cancer.
In just a few short weeks, our community will finally meet face-to-face, coming together as one. We can't wait to see you!
For more information, visit www.avonwalk.org/rockymountains.
Event Eve & Host Hotel
Keystone Resort Conference Center
Conference Center Drive
(between Tennis Club Rd
and St. John Rd, off Hwy 6)
Keystone, Colorado 80435
CLICK HERE FOR A MAP
Wellness Village Site
Summit County Middle School
158 Summit School Rd
Frisco, CO 80443
CLICK HERE FOR MAP
Directions, Shuttles & Parking
CLICK HERE FOR INFO
Opening Ceremony Site
Marmot Lot at Mountain House
1195 Keystone Rd
Keystone, CO 80435
CLICK HERE FOR A MAP
Closing Ceremony Site
Town of Breckenridge - Main St.
(Between Ski Hill Rd & Adams Ave)
Breckenridge, CO 80424
CLICK HERE FOR INFO
Friday, June 22, 2012 - Event Eve
(See Daily Doings for more information)
||Event Eve opens - all Walkers who have not completed Early Check-In and all Crew must check in at the Keystone Conference Center from 2:00 pm-6:00 pm.
||Non-Camping Shuttle Bus wristbands will be available for purchase (credit card and checks only; no cash, please).
||All Crew members should arrive by 3:00 pm for Check-In
||Crew Team Leader meeting in Torreys Peak I-III
||Mandatory All-Crew meeting in Torreys Peak I-III
||Event Eve closes
Saturday, June 23, 2012 - The Walk to Wellness Village
(See Daily Doings for more information)
||Shuttle Buses from the Inn at Keystone and River Run Condominiums to Ceremony Site. Shuttles will begin at 3:30 am for Crew and 4:30 am for Walkers. (We strongly recommend you take an early shuttle bus to ensure you arrive in time for the Opening Ceremony.)
||Walker arrivals at Opening Ceremony
||Coffee service, sponsored by Sunshine Café, will be provided at Opening Ceremony as well as breakfast, sponsored by Sysco Foods.
||Opening Ceremony begins
||Route opens: The Walk begins!
||Wellness Village opens, hot showers, Spaaaah Zone, medical and other participant services available
||Sponsor tents open
||Wellness Village open to visitors
||Yoga classes begin on the hour in the Yoga Relaxation Zone
||Dinner available for Participants only (visitors may bring a picnic)
||Non-Camping Shuttle Buses to the Inn at Keystone, River Run Condominiums, and the Pika parking lot begin on a rolling basis. The bus wristband for non-campers can be purchased at the Wellness Village for $20. (Credit cards and checks only. No cash, please). Do not remove your wristband; you'll need it for transportation from the Wellness Village to the hotel and back to the Wellness Village on Sunday morning. Wristbands will NOT be sold on Sunday morning.
||"Avon Walk Live" entertainment begins in the Dining Tent at Summit Middle School
||Last yoga class begins
||Wellness Village closes to visitors
||Spaaaah Zone closes
||Sponsor Tents close
||Final Non-Camping Shuttle Bus to the Inn at Keystone, River Run Condominiums, and the Pika parking lot
||"Avon Walk Live" entertainment ends in the Dining Tent
||Participant Services close
||Lights out. Quiet in the Wellness Village
Sunday, June 24, 2012 - The Walk to Closing Ceremony
(See Daily Doings for more information)
||Non-Camping Shuttle Buses from the Inn at Keystone, River Run Condominiums, and the Pika parking lot to the Wellness Village. Wristbands will NOT be sold on Sunday.
||Participant Services open
||Participant Services close
||Wellness Village closes; all participants must be on the route
||Walkers begin to arrive on Main Street, Breckenridge
||Final Walker arrivals
||Crew meeting in Participant Services area
||Participant line-up for Closing Ceremony procession
||Closing Ceremony begins - don't miss it!
||Closing Ceremony ends
||Shuttles to the Inn at Keystone, River Run Condominiums, the Pika parking lot, the Curtis Hotel (Denver), and Denver International Airport begin at the completion of Closing Ceremony
Get Connected! Share the Avon Walk with YOUR online community!
Whether you text a friend, blog, tweet every day, or whether you don't even know what the heck a "tweet" is, we invite you to join our Official Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Group on Facebook and to follow us on Twitter! It's a great way to connect with fellow Walkers and Crew and others who are just as passionate about the breast cancer cause as you are. You can share ideas, photos, questions, and also see the latest updates and news coverage from the Walks. And you can connect with others throughout your Walk weekend by sending updates, posting your favorite event photos and sharing your special messages on your own social networks and ours!
FRIDAY - Event Eve
Event Eve is the kick-off to the Walk weekend and is the day before the Walk officially starts. All participants who have not completed the full Early Check-In process will be required to check-in at Event Eve from 2:00pm-6:00pm to get their wristband and luggage tag. Walkers who have already completed Early Check-In are still encouraged to attend Event Eve to join in the excitement! Check out terrific Avon Walk merchandise for sale, great sponsor giveaways and meet your fellow Walkers! Start shopping now!
Event Eve Procedures: Early Check-In Participants
- Early Check-In is available to all Walkers and Crew and can be accessed through your Participant Center until Monday, May 28, at 11:59 PM ET. Walkers who have completed Early Check-In will receive their wristband and luggage tag in the mail approximately 4-6 days prior to the Avon Walk. Walkers who complete Early Check-In are not required to attend Event Eve (but are welcome to join us anyway!)
- Crew may utilize Early Check-In to select a tent mate and fill out their medical form ahead of time, but due to the mandatory All-Crew meeting, Crew must attend Event Eve. Crew members who have completed Early Check-In should go to Crew Check-In to pick up their wristband and luggage tag after attending the Crew meeting.
- Walkers that have completed Early Check-In and have donations to drop off or need a replacement luggage tag or wristband should go to the Early Check-In Help Desk at Event Eve.
- Participants who have NOT completed Early Check-In must attend Event Eve to check-in. Please read below for details.
Bring to Event Eve
- A printout of your current donation total as listed on your "My Avon Walk" personal page.
- Any additional donations you have to turn in, with a completed coupon for each donation (please remember, we cannot accept cash donations.)
- Photo identification.
- If you plan to take advantage of our Fundraising Commitment Pledge option (details below), please bring a credit card.
Additional Event Eve Details
- Medical Form: Save yourself a step at Event Eve by submitting your medical form electronically from your Early Check-In page, which you can access through your Participant Center until Monday, May 28, at 11:59 PM ET. If you have not completed your Medical Form prior to Event Eve, you'll need to stop first at the Medical Table before continuing the check-in process. All other participants should go directly to Check-In.
- Donations: For those participants who have donations to turn in, you may bring them to Event Eve. A donation coupon must accompany each donation. We accept checks and credit card donations - no cash, please. If you have cash donations, we suggest that you write a personal check or obtain a money order to cover those donations.
- Fundraising Commitment Pledge: If you have not yet met your donation minimum you may choose the Fundraising Commitment Pledge option to guarantee the minimum donation amount so that you can still participate in the event. A Fundraising Commitment Pledge is your promise to fundraise for two months (60 days) after the event in order to meet your minimum of $1,800.
- Please bring a valid Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card to Event Eve.
- Your card will not be charged at Event Eve. You will have 60 more days to complete your fundraising.
- If after that time you have not yet met your minimum, you will be contacted by the Avon Foundation to make arrangements to either turn in additional donations or charge the balance to a credit card.
- Fundraising Rewards: You are ALL fantastic fundraisers who need no extra motivation to help raise much-needed funds for the fight against breast cancer. However, we believe a truly extraordinary effort deserves a little recognition. You can earn a great performance hat and performance shirt, for hitting the $2,200 and $3,600 fundraising levels, respectively (both of these limited-edition items courtesy of National Sponsor Reebok.) You can also earn a fantastic Avon Walk 10th Birthday Duffle bag by reaching the $5,000 fundraising level. If you are eligible to receive one of our fundraising reward items (but have not yet received it in the mail), please stop by our Fundraising Rewards table at Event Eve or at the Wellness Village Appreciation Tent to pick up your well-deserved prize! Click here for more information.
What You'll Find at Event Eve
- Avon Walk Shop: Purchase your official Avon Walk gear featuring new 2012 10th Birthday merchandise! Net proceeds benefit the Avon Foundation...shopping without the guilt! You can even start shopping now!
- Reebok: will also be on-hand selling their terrific new line of Pink Ribbon Footwear and Apparel. All Walkers who fully complete Early Check-In will receive a 15% Off Coupon for use at the Reebok Store at the Avon Walk Event Eve! This coupon will be included in your Early Check-In packet that will be mailed to you.
- Avon Foundation for Women: Meet the organization that makes the Avon Walk possible; learn about your fundraising dollars at work; pick up a free gift (while supplies last) and fill out a special bib to let people know who you are IN IT TO END IT for.
- Event Eve Photo Op: Volunteers will be on hand to take photos of you and your team (using your own camera or phone) with some fun props and flair. Let the memories begin!
- Registration Station: Register for any 2013 Avon Walk event for only $32.50 - that's 50% off the registration fee! This is the lowest registration offer of the season and will only be available on event! You will receive special materials on the spot to get your 2013 Avon Walk started -- including a one-of-a-kind long-sleeve t-shirt available only to on-event registrants!
- Special Non-Camping Shuttle Bus Wristbands: The Avon Walk is a camping event, but for those who choose to leave the event to go back to the hotel for Saturday night, Non-Camping Shuttle Bus Wristbands will be available for purchase with a credit card or personal check (cash will not be accepted) at Event Eve on Friday and at the Wellness Village on Saturday.
- Only registered participants who have purchased this Non-Camping Shuttle Bus Wristband are able to utilize the shuttle service.
- The cost is $20 and entitles you to round-trip transportation FROM the Wellness Village TO the Inn at Keystone, River Run Condominiums, and the Pika parking lot on Saturday afternoon/evening and FROM the the Inn at Keystone, River Run Condominiums, and the Pika parking lot TO the Wellness Village on Sunday morning (there is no discount for a one-way trip).
- Wristbands are non-refundable and transportation from the Wellness Village will not begin until 4:00 pm on Saturday afternoon. Wristbands will NOT be sold Sunday morning.
- Please note: All other event busing throughout the weekend remains complimentary.
- Non-Camping Shuttle Bus Wristband Purchases NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE! If you wish to take advantage of our Non-Camping Shuttle Bus Service, you can purchase your bus wristband in advance online. Then you simply need to come to Event Eve on Friday or the Shuttle Bus area at the Wellness Village on Saturday to pick up your pre-paid wristband for shuttle access.
- Advance Shuttle Bus Wristband Purchases will be available up until Thursday, June 21, at 3:00 MT. After this time, you will only be able to purchase your shuttle bus wristband in person at Event Eve or at the Shuttle Bus area at the Wellness Village. Click here to purchase your shuttle bus pass online (or log-in to your Participant Center where a quick link will be available).
- Selling fundraising merchandise: Registered participants may enter a lottery for a timeslot and selling station to sell fundraising items to support their Avon Walk fundraising efforts at Event Eve. The lottery will be held at 1:00 pm. Click here for more information. No other selling will be permitted on-site or at any other time during the Avon Walk weekend.
SATURDAY - Opening Ceremony
- For Walkers, the Opening Ceremony is the kick-off to the Avon Walk. Walkers should arrive at the Ceremony site between 5:00 am and 6:00 am ready to walk. Our short but inspiring Ceremony will begin at 6:30 am and the route will open by 7:00 am.
- Bring all your gear for the weekend with you to the Opening Ceremony. We will transport it to the Wellness Village for you. Remember to attach your Avon Walk luggage tag to your gear before dropping it at your designated gear truck. Please be sure to limit your gear to 30lbs or less.
- Don't forget to bring your refillable water bottle (individual water bottles will not be provided!) See "What to Bring" section below for guidelines.
Additional Route Details
- Rest Stops or Quick Stops will be located approximately every 2-3 miles along the route.
- "Sweep Vehicles" or buses will transport Walkers who are behind pace to the next Rest Stop or to the Wellness Village. Please cooperate with any Crew members or Avon Walk Staff members who ask you to get into a sweep vehicle or bus.
- Unique from our other Avon Walks across the country, the Avon Walk Rocky Mountains route will be linear (point to point) instead of circular. You’ll travel along the walking paths and streets of Summit County 39.3 miles from Keystone Resort to Main Street Breckenridge with amazing vistas everywhere you turn.
- You’ll have the choice of walking either 13.1 or 26.2 miles on Saturday. Walkers completing the 13.1 mile option will end their day’s journey at our Wellness Village in Frisco, Colorado. For those ambitious and extremely well trained walkers that wish to complete 26.2 miles on Saturday, there will be a brief stop at the Wellness Village ‘Altitude Checkpoint’ prior to continuing on through the town of Frisco and into Ten-Mile Canyon before looping back to the Wellness Village.
- Please remember that throughout the weekend we are often sharing trails and paths with cyclists and runners. Please be considerate and alert. If you hear the words “on your left” it means a cyclist or runner is coming up behind you on your left, and you should move to the right so they can pass. Do not spread out across a path so no one can get by, please always leave space for others. Thanks for your cooperation.
Please note the following Rest Stop Closing and Leave-By times to help pace your walk:
Leave-By Time/Rest Stop Closing Time
|Rest Stop 1
|Quick Stop A
|Rest Stop 2
|Quick Stop B
|Quick Stop C
|Rest Stop 3
|Altitude Check Point
Walkers walking past this point should leave by 1:30 pm. The Altitude Check Point at the Wellness Village is also the half-marathon finish line.
|Rest Stop 4
|Quick Stop D
|Rest Stop 5
|Quick Stop E
|Rest Stop 6
|Quick Stop F
The following is a list of items you can expect to see on the Event. Substitutions may be made as necessary and this list is intended to provide an overview of the types of food we have available. If you have a special meal need or a severe food allergy, please contact your Avon Walk Office to make any necessary arrangements.
- Bagels and peanut butter
- Granola bars
Lunch Saturday & Sunday
- Deli meat sandwiches with cheese
- Veggie sandwiches with cheese and/or hummus (vegetarians only)
- Assorted chips, cookies and piece of fruit
- Pasta with meatballs and marinara sauce OR grilled chicken with rice pilaf
- Vegetarian enchilada casserole (vegetarians only)
- Green bean, wax bean and carrot medley
- Garden salad
- Scrambled eggs and sausage links
- Deluxe oatmeal
- Single servings of dry cereal with milk
- Granola and yogurt
Snacks on the route Saturday & Sunday
- Assorted snacks along the route including bagels, oranges, bananas, granola bars, pretzels, sunflower seeds, cookies, snack mix, trail mix, raisins, fruit bars, etc. Please note that not all snacks are at all of the stops. Feel free to bring your own energy bar or snack if you have a favorite that is not listed here.
- You will be able to refill your water bottle with water and/or sports drink at every stop.
- Encourage friends and family to show their support and join the fun! PRINT OUT a list of the best locations for your friends and family to safely cheer you on along the route.
The Wellness Village
- Your home-away-from-home for the night has all the services you'll need and is bustling with activity.
Some of what you'll find there:
- The Avon Walk Shop - Home of the Official Avon Walk merchandise with some great new items for 2012! Be sure to visit the Walk Shop at Event Eve, the Wellness Village and Closing Ceremony to get your commemorative gear (100% of the net proceeds will benefit the Avon Foundation Breast Cancer Crusade.) Also, if you spend $55 or more at the Walk Store on event, you will receive a special gift; a limited-edition Avon Walk carnival cup! Official Avon Walk gear is also available online at www.avonwalkshop.org if you want to shop ahead of time.
- Avon Walk Appreciation - Stop by and pick up a button to signify the number of years you've been participating in the Avon Walk! Also pick up your fundraising rewards here, if you earned one but have not yet received it in the mail.
- Registration Station - Visit the Registration Station at Event Eve, the Wellness Village or Closing Ceremony to register for 2013 Avon Walk event for just $32.50 that's 50% off the registration fee. This is the lowest registration offer of the season and will only be available on event! You will receive special materials on the spot to get your 2013 Avon Walk started - including a one-of-a-kind long-sleeve t-shirt available only to on-event registrants!
- Avon Foundation for Women Tent - Learn about the Foundation's commitment to the fight against breast cancer and how your fundraising dollars are being put to great use! Stop by and get a free gift (while supplies last).
- Press Tent - Members of the media and designated Participant Spokespeople are asked to check in here. You can also take a look at some of the great media coverage the Avon Walk has received!
- Sponsor Tents - Be sure to pay a visit to the generous companies who help make the Avon Walks possible. See our "Avon Walk Sponsors" section below for details about their on-event activities.
- Reebok Be sure to visit the Reebok tent to sample from their delicious candy bar and sign up for a chance to win a $100 Reebok custom gift card. Also use your camera to take a picture against their photo wall (with fun accessories and props!) to commemorate your Avon Walk experience. They will also have Pink Ribbon Product displays and staff on hand to answer any questions you have about getting the perfect fit for your walking footwear.
- Dining Tent - Serving Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast, food is available to registered participants only - visitors are free to bring a picnic.
- "Avon Walk Live" - Our evening entertainment program takes place in the dining tent. It's a fun hour of laughs, games, information and entertainment - audience participation encouraged!
- Information Services - Information desk and message center for event participants.
- Medical - Staffed around-the-clock by the Medical Team. Stop first at Medical Triage, where you'll be directed to the appropriate medical service.
- Yoga Relaxation Zone - A place to chill out and unwind after your walk. Hourly classes (2:00 pm-7:00 pm) combine a good stretch with gentle yoga moves, compliments of Yoga Journal magazine.
- Spaaaah Zone - Enjoy mini back and foot massages! You must bring a clean pair of socks.
SUNDAY - Closing Ceremony (Don't miss it!)
The Closing Ceremony is something that no participant and their families should miss! It is the culmination of your weekend and a true celebration. All Walkers and Crew are part of the Closing Ceremony, so we encourage you to invite your friends and family to celebrate with you!
- Walkers - You will arrive at the finish line and the Closing Ceremony site between 12:00 pm and 2:30 pm.
- Crew - You will arrive at the Closing Ceremony by 2:00 pm.
- All Participants - Upon arrival, pick up your special victory T-shirt and enjoy snacks and refreshments in the Participant Services area. Depending on your arrival time, we encourage you to relax inside our "participants only" Participant Services area or visit with friends and family before the Closing Ceremony begins.
- Picture Perfect! - After crossing the finish line, be sure to grab your friends and take a celebratory picture in front of the "We Did It" photo banner. You'll see it just past the finish line. It's a great way to capture the excitement of your weekend accomplishment!
- Get Ready for the Ceremony! - Walkers and Crew are an important part of the Closing Ceremony and we will begin preparation for your grand entrance approximately 30 minutes before the ceremony, no later than 2:30 pm. Participants, plan to gather at Participant Services at 2:30 pm.
- Family and Friends - Those wishing to greet their loved ones and see the Closing Ceremony should plan to arrive no later than 2:00 pm to allow time to park (Click Here: Directions, Shuttles and Parking Info) and get to the Closing Ceremony area.
GETTING TO KNOW US
The Avon Foundation for Women
The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer is the largest fundraising initiative of the Avon Foundation for Women. Representatives of the Avon Foundation will be present throughout the weekend and are happy to talk to you about the enormous contribution you are making to the breast cancer cause. Visit their table at Event Eve, the Wellness Village and Closing Ceremony to learn how your donations are immediately going to work in the community and throughout the country. You can also find information on steps you can take to protect your own breast health, spread awareness and educate others (along with some fun giveaways!) www.avonfoundation.org
Last year alone, nearly 18,000 Avon Walk participants raised more than $45 million! Since the launch of the Avon Walk in 2003, more than $423 million has been raised through the dedication of nearly 160,000 participating women and men and more than 500,000 donors. The Avon Foundation for Women makes sure that the funds raised help women and men receive screening, support and treatment they need, regardless of their ability to pay, as well as accelerate the work of leading research teams in their quest for better treatment, improved detection and a cure.
Avon Walk Sponsors
Our 2012 sponsors join us throughout the Avon Walk weekend. Please take some time to visit these companies whose commitment helps make these events possible.
National Sponsor Reebok
Now in its 7th year as a sponsor of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, Reebok is proud to continue their support in our fight against breast cancer. Reebok is "In It To End It" and will donate up to $750,000 to the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade through sales of its Pink Ribbon footwear and apparel. They are also proud to outfit all Avon Walk Walkers, Crew and Volunteers with special t-shirts and provide footwear and apparel for all Avon Walk Staff.
Reebok's Pink Ribbon line of products will be available for purchase at Event Eve and online at http://shop.reebok.com/US/womens/all. At the Wellness Village, visit the Reebok tent to sample from their delicious candy bar and sign up for a chance to win a $100 Reebok custom gift card. Also use your camera to take a picture against their photo wall (with fun accessories and props!) to commemorate your Avon Walk experience. They will also have Pink Ribbon Product displays and staff on hand to answer any questions you have about getting the perfect fit for your walking footwear.
National Sponsor OtterBox
OtterBox is extremely proud of its sponsorship of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. Embracing the idea that “Pink is Strength”, OtterBox supports the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade with limited edition pink and white OtterBox Commuter Series™ “Strength” cases (for Apple® iPhone®4/4S, HTC EVO 3D and the Blackberry®Torch™II) as well as two graphic case options, the “Soar” and “Victory”, for iPhone®4/4S. Ten percent (10%) of the purchase price is donated to the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade. Since 2010 OtterBox has donated more than $900,000.
Special thanks to the Avon Walk Rocky Mountains Medical Sponsor
St. Anthony's Summit Medical Center!
WHAT TO BRING
Packing for the Avon Walk
- You are allowed one gear bag weighing up to 30lbs. Backpacks or duffel bags are preferable to suitcases
- All gear must be inside or securely strapped to your gear bag
- Please use luggage straps and not bungee cords
- Anticipate changes in weather and pack clothing that can be layered
- Pack clothes and sleeping bag in plastic bags, in case of rain
- Label your belongings with your name and participant number
- Please leave valuables at home
Avon will provide the following products while on the Avon Walk:
- Hand soap at the sinks in the shower area
- Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and body lotion in the shower trucks
- Hand sanitizer and sunscreen at the Rest Stops and Wellness Village
Use this packing list as a guide and adapt to your own needs:
- Sleeping bag (15-30 degrees, temperatures average 30-50 degrees in the evening, but we are near the water so it feels colder)
- Travel pillow
- Sleeping bag pad for tent floor
- Battery operated alarm clock
- Batters for flashlight and alarm clock
- Plastic bags
- Fanny pack
- Towel (a pack towel or chamois works best)
- Water bottle(s) with wide mouth for easy filling
- Insurance card/info, personal identification
- Walking shoes - two pairs properly fitted
- Comfortable shoes to wear at night
- T-shirts (make sure to bring your Avon Walk registration t-shirt)
- Underwear (wicking material while walking,
non-wicking pair for evening at camp)
- Sports bras
- Socks, two pair per day, preferably non-cotton (wicking material while walking, non-wicking for evening at camp)
- Long pants
- Sweat pants
- Warm fleece or sweatshirt
- Lightweight jacket and gloves
- Hat (baseball or brimmed hat)
- Waterproof jacket
- Shower shoes
- Heavy layer (down/fleece for the evening time)
- Bandana (can be used to dip into water to keep cool at high altitudes)
- Shampoo (provided in the shower trucks)
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Tampons/sanitary napkins
- Glasses/extra contact lenses
Crew Members Only
- Reflective wear (sash/vest/tape)
- Work gloves
- Back support
- Pocket knife (do not pack in carry-on luggage)
- Any required prescription medications
- Lip balm with sunscreen (SPF 15-30)
- Insect repellant
- Gauze and tape
- Pain Reliever (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, etc.)
- Plastic bags
- Money and credit cards
- Camera and film
- Journal and pens
- Fanny pack
- Please leave valuables at home!
SAFETY & EVENT POLICIES
Please help to ensure a happy, healthy Avon Walk experience for everyone by following these common-sense safety rules. Failure to comply with these policies or with Staff or Crew safety instructions may result in removal from the Event.
- You may not possess or be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances at any time during the Event, and the Avon Walk is smoke-free.
- Walk only on the route. No running, bicycles, rollerblades, skates, Segways or scooters.
- We ask that you do not bring your pet(s) to any element of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer event weekend. We are not equipped to accommodate pets at any point and several of the sites we use throughout the weekend have restrictions. We are also mindful of fellow participants' fears/allergies. We truly love animals and we appreciate your pet's enthusiasm, but it would be best for all if he/she stays home for the weekend.
- Please remember that we share the path with the general public during our walk. Please walk only on the right side and move over for bikes to pass when it is narrow.
- Cell phones, headphones, or portable music devices may not be used while walking. They may only be used at Rest Stops and in the Wellness Village.
- Always follow all rules of the road, the instructions of local law enforcement and of Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Staff and Crew Members.
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings, and watch out for other Walkers and their safety. Look to your left, right, then to your left again before crossing a street or intersection. Be alert for bicycles, rollerbladers, other pedestrians, etc.
- Follow the route markings at all times and stay on the marked route. In the absence of sidewalks, walk single file as far to the right of the sidewalk or roadway as possible.
- Wear your ID wristband with your Participant number at all times (you'll receive your wristband when you check in at Event Eve or in the mail if you completed the Online Check-in process). In case of emergency, dial 9-1-1, then call the phone number on your wristband to report the incident.
- You must check into the Wellness Village on Saturday evening. If you plan to leave, please be sure to tell an Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Staff Member.
- Common courtesy applies. Respect the Route and Wellness Village site. Don't move your tent to undesignated areas. Use the toilets and facilities provided. Don't litter. Maintain safe and non-disruptive behavior at all times, including no verbal or physical fighting or harassment.
- Stay quiet after lights out at 10:00pm.